I ran across this recipe on Pintrest and I loved it. It was BBQ Cauliflower & Chickpea Taco’s these are amazing but I’m not a fan of corn tortillas but I still need this vegan recipe gluten free also so I’ve had to tweek the recipe a little. I had to think of an alternative Cauliflower Chickpea Collard Green Wraps. I use blanched collard green wraps and life is going to be different from here on out. These are so awesome for those of you non corn tortilla eating gluten free folks.
I just boiled some water and simmered the leaves for about 10 minutes. Then stuck them instantly in ice cold water. The next time I am going to try and thin down the stem part maybe slice down the side of it. Then I made the cauliflower and chickpea filling and roast them up, I also make the creamy coleslaw. Yummy!
I have always hated corn soft shells so before I used flour tortillas and then I used romaine lettuce boats those were yummy also but it was hard to keep the filling from rolling out.
So we brainstormed and found out these amazing wraps were perfect.
Just filled them with the chickpea mixture and coleslaw and wrapped them up. They were perfect and nothing fell out. Yeah baby!
Here’s the recipe I tweeked it a bit from the original source. She Likes Food blog.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 1/4 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- sliced jalapenos, if desired
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 14 ounce bag of cole slaw mix or 6 – 7 cups of thinly chopped cabbage and carrots
- A scant 1/2 cup of veganasie, or mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon water
- Juice of one lime
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the slaw: Then in a medium sized bowl add all of the slaw dressing ingredients. Mix ingredients together until a creamy sauce has formed. In a large bowl, add the cabbage mixture and pour dressing over. Mix until everything is combined. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, add all of the BBQ rub ingredients and mix together.
- Separate all of the cauliflower florets and chop them into bite size pieces. Then place florets and chickpeas onto a large sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with BBQ rub. Toss everything together with your hands so that cauliflower and chickpeas are coated with the rub. Place the sheetpan in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, flipping once.
- While this is cooking prepare the collard green wraps. Then take the leaves and cut of them stem at the base. Then boil them for about 10 minutes and instantly place in ice water. Then them dry and place to the side.
- Put about 1/4 cup of cauliflower and chickpeas to each collard wrap. Then top with a few tablespoons of slaw and roll them up. Folding the ends in as you roll to create a burrito.